Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: How To Make Bonsai Soil

Super Moderator
    I don't know what the hair could be. Yes it should be out all the year. Keping moving it is also not good for it. I would not spray at all.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Most blessed to be from Oregon where pumice is easy and cheap to get. For conifers use 100% pumice. For deciduous use 50% pumice/50% Wee Tree Bonsai soil(in total about 60/65% or so pumice).

Bonsai Apprentice
    Am I not correct in thinking that the correct soil is species specific? So fixed formulae don't make sense?

Super Moderator
    No you are not correct. The exception is Azaleas and other aid lovers. Then I use Kanuma but for everything else I use the same mix. Akadama and Kyodama 50/50

Bonsai Apprentice
    Thanks Geoff.
    You learn something every day!!

Bonsai Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
    Am I not correct in thinking that the correct soil is species specific? So fixed formulae don't make sense?
    Correct yes. To a point. As mentioned some might need more acid soil can be done with fertilizer or amendments(or both). Personally use either all pumice for conifers and partial pumice partial prepared Bonsai soil for deciduous trees. And use finer size for small and seedling trees. Really sorry for folks that don't have pumice available.

Bonsai Apprentice
    So, you can actually grow a bonsai tree in 100% pumice?

Super Moderator
    Yes of course you can. You can add fertiliser as needed, and with a free draining soil it will produce good roots. I do't use pumice, I use Akadama and Kyodama but the principle is the same.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Pumice is very porus and holds H2O well. Does not break down like clay based substrates. Some lava is fairly porus but doesn't hold it as well and is heavier. It was Randy Knight and Ryan Neil that I learned this from.