Thread: Evergreens winterization

Bonsai Apprentice

Evergreens winterization

Hi Everyone,

I have a few pines that are seedlings (1-2 years) and a small juniper. I have them in growing pots right now but the temperature outside is <15F and the pots seem frozen. Should i leave the pines/juniper outside even if the pots freeze? Temperatures the next week get down to as low as -5F. I have a garage that would be slightly warmer but no windows or lights, so they would be constantly in the dark and i'm unsure if that's ok for these trees.

So should I leave them outside where the pots will be frozen or garage with no lights? Only other alternative would be to put a small light i use for my indoor plants out in the garage with them but i prefer to keep it with my indoor trees.

Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    I would leave them where they are. They should be fine. Garage with no light is worse and indoors worse still. If you have a table or bench or something to protect a bit it might be better.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff hobson View Post
    I would leave them where they are. They should be fine. Garage with no light is worse and indoors worse still. If you have a table or bench or something to protect a bit it might be better.
    I have a similar dilemma, Geoff. I also have a uniper. What temperatures are considered safe to still leave juniper out in the cold? Temperatures here go even lower here than Zrocker mentioned, but not by much.

Super Moderator
    What you need to avoid is the trees getting very dry. Difficult, but that will kill more than cold. -15C is not a problem, keeping them in the dark is also not good. All of my trees stay where they are all year. We don't get very low temperatures for long, so we don't have to worry about them. It may be a bit late but you can also bury the pots and cover with straw or similar material to insulate
    Bonsai Mirai has a very good video about winter, Ryan Neil talks about it for a long time, and the advice is good. It includes putting trees on the ground not leaving them on benches as it is warmer. also sheds and garages are not the best places. It is worth a look,

Super Moderator
    What you need to avoid is the trees getting very dry. Difficult, but that will kill more than cold. -15C is not a problem, keeping them in the dark is also not good. All of my trees stay where they are all year. We don't get very low temperatures for long, so we don't have to worry about them. It may be a bit late but you can also bury the pots and cover with straw or similar material to insulate
    Bonsai Mirai has a very good video about winter, Ryan Neil talks about it for a long time, and the advice is good. It includes putting trees on the ground not leaving them on benches as it is warmer. also sheds and garages are not the best places. It is worth a look,