Thread: Styling Thoughts Requested for Green Mountain Juniper

Bonsai Apprentice

Styling Thoughts Requested for Green Mountain Juniper

Y'all,

please help me with some styling suggestions, comments or criticisms. all welcome. Photo attached. Thanks.

GMJCut3.jpg

Super Moderator
    The top is too heavy and the cascading branches are too spars. I would thin the top, and wire the cascading branches so that they are closer into the pot. Not being able to examine the tree closely that is about all I can tell. I also of course can't see the other side. Having said all that it does not look as if it has grown well this year, so possibly I would do the pruning in stages thinning the top first then the rest next year once the tree is stronger. Is is a bit late this year, but I would be adding a lot of fertiliser next year to get better growth. If your trees keep growing through the winter then I would keep fertilising but lighter.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Thanks Geoff. All good suggestions. Something to figure out how to go about your suggestions. I am currently just letting it grow back. Do you thing the cascading limbs are too long and should b shortened? I will look at what I want to do to the top. I will research what is done to GMJ top mounding. I won't really do anything until next summer. I will show pics from more sides. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    The branches that are cascading need to be wired and moved to better positions. The top has grown well whist the other branches have not so you need to slow the top part in favour of the rest. The top is too big and heavy, but there is another design that might be possible without most of the front branches. This is done with the correct pruning. I would suggest that you might be able to find a grower in your area who might be better able to help as it is impossible for me to say what is needed without getting hold of the tree and looking closer.
    Junipers will back bud well, and the cascading branches will I think do that, this will help to get foliage further up the branches. I would not shorten them yet.
    Have a look for a nursery or club where you could get local advice.

Super Moderator
    The pot is also far too big and ugly for this tree.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Thanks Geoff,

I will look around for a Bonsai Club in my area for more hands-on suggestions. I agree about the pot. The pot is intermediate one as I prune the roots down to fit into a more traditional cascade pot. Any suggestions on what the pot would look like that would go with this Juniper. When is the best time to do the top thinning/redesign?

Bonsai Apprentice
    When I re-pot next summer, should I have the trunk more vertical? Is it too horizontal?

Super Moderator
    If you want a cascade then no the trunk needs to be further down not up. I would look for a square pot about the same depth as the one it is in, maybe slightly smaller square, and I would plant with the trunk in a corner, but you would have to decide if that looked right. You van do some pruning now but do it in stages especially if you are not sure what to do. I would also keep fertilising through the winter, use a low nitrogen one, and if you can get it seaweed extract and I woud use that in alternate weeks with the fertiliser. Re potting is in late spring, not into summer.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Thanks Geoff, Something to fine tune in the coming spring.