Thread: Is my tree dead or just losing leaves?

Bonsai Apprentice

Unhappy Is my tree dead or just losing leaves?

Hi, back in November i grew some acer buergerianum bonsai trees and they looked amazing, but they kept losing leaves (overwatering at first but then i watered them like once a week or twice a month, it depended on the weather). When i repotted the biggest one, the others around it started losing leaves, one died and the one i repotted started developing its trunk but lost all its leaves and it's been two months and they won't grow back. Same happened with the other ones, as soon as the trunk started developing they lost all the leaves. Is it normal? are they dying? I checked and they're pretty firm, attached to the ground but i'm still worried.

Does anyone know what happened to my trees?

Super Moderator
    Do you mean you sowed seed? Watering once a month? What do you mean? You need to give more information. What country are you in? Where have they been kept?

Bonsai Apprentice
    I bought seeds from a website and i grew my bonsai trees. In the winter i watered them once every two weeks and in the summer once a week. I'm from italy and they are inside in direct sunlight.

Super Moderator
    What you have is nothing to do with bonsai there is no such thing as bonsai seed. The seedlings must be outside. If that is all you have been watering then they will not live. Losing leaves in summer is not good.
    As I cannot see what you have I cannot say more. You must put them outside and water when dry not to a schedule. They may live

Bonsai Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff hobson View Post
    What you have is nothing to do with bonsai there is no such thing as bonsai seed. The seedlings must be outside. If that is all you have been watering then they will not live. Losing leaves in summer is not good.
    As I cannot see what you have I cannot say more. You must put them outside and water when dry not to a schedule. They may live
    I bought some seeds, this is when they first bloomed https://www.instagram.com/p/BQz5z_fh...yleniacondello
    then they grew up a bit https://www.instagram.com/p/BQyTzVAh...yleniacondello and when they were about this big https://www.instagram.com/p/BURNuTwB...yleniacondello they started losing leaves! only once i saw a green leaf coming out, but it turned brown after a few days

Super Moderator
    It sounds as if something killed them off, possibly damping off idsease, very common with seedlings. I suggest you put it down to experience and buy a tree, there is nothing much you an do with dead seedlings

Bonsai Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff hobson View Post
    It sounds as if something killed them off, possibly damping off idsease, very common with seedlings. I suggest you put it down to experience and buy a tree, there is nothing much you an do with dead seedlings
    oh that's a pity :/ i might try grow more trees this year. i already have a tree and it's pretty healthy, he sheds once a year a bit but its leaves always grow back. can i do something to rescue them or they're dead?

Super Moderator
    I don't think they can be rescued, you could keep them for a while to see what happens,

Bonsai Apprentice
    I repotted them, the roots were alive and healthy. I'm hoping they start growing leaves again