Thread: Please can someone advise a newbie

Bonsai Apprentice

Please can someone advise a newbie

Hi All,

I'm new to bonsai and started a 'kit' I got as a present (I hear you all laugh at someone using a 'kit'!).untitled.jpg

Attached is an image of the seedling that grew from the seed, forgive that it is such a crude pot.

Could anyone advise on what type of plant this is and how I can go about perfecting the conditions for growth?
    A friend told me to keep it in as small container as possible so that the roots don't grow too big and the plant becomes large and not a bonsai.

I'm sort of puzzled by the strange appearance of the plant, I've never seen the sort before, especially as bonsai!

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Chris

Super Moderator
    There is no such thing as bonsai seed kit. It looks like a pine of some sort.
    The best place for this is in the ground for 8 to 10 years. Yes that long, the way to start bonsai if you are serious us to get atree that is big enough for you to do something with. Go to a nursery or garden centre and look around the trees, Cotoneaster or Beech or Hornbeam or the Pines, but don't buy a seedling you will get bored very quickly waiting for it to grow. Buy a book and read what bonsai is about, and join a club.