Thread: Chinese elm with falling yellow leafs – Am I the guilty or is it sick?

Bonsai Apprentice

Chinese elm with falling yellow leafs – Am I the guilty or is it sick?

Hello everybody

I think i have a slight problem with my Chinese elm…or not ( if I’m the guilty one).

I’m from Portugal (South Europe) and my Chinese elm spends the whole year in the balcony facing south, so it gets a lot of sun during the day, I usually put it near a wall so it catches sun during morning until mid-day and then during the afternoon it only gets indirect light.

More less in the beginning of summer ( around may) and from one day to another (after some maintenance pruning) about 40% of the leafs turned yellow and dropped at the slightest touch.

Since then until now I’ve been trying to pin point the root of this by trial and error:
    - I put it in a spot with only indirect light
    - Reduced the watering
    - Increased the watering
    - Fertilized with P/K
    - Prayed and talk to it

And although the amount of yellow leafs reduced very much it never disappeared completely… the elm continues to grow with new shoots but some of the leafs ( the older ones) in these shoots also get discolored.

Today I found out that the yellow leafs were increasing again.

I’m now thinking that the problem is not maintenance but some disease.
    I’ve found a lot of posts with similar problems but not a solution that worked on my elm, and most of the fungal or bug symptoms don’t fit on mine.

Some pics:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1JObXrQz6R8VG4zT1hMRGlqdnc
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1JObXrQz6R8VXItMUlnZV9IVDQ
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1JObXrQz6R8Tm9tVjlGek5IaVk
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1JObXrQz6R8YzFxNGo3MkwwMEE
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1JObXrQz6R8dXRIMU5jeXRhVlk

Can you provide me with a little help?

Thank you

Super Moderator
    I can't see your pictures, but have you checked for aphids? I would think that you should be watering at least every day, depending on the soil and drainage. Have you been adding any fertiliser? If there are new buds coming then it seems as if it is doing quite well, I think you need to check for insects, get the watering correct, check every day and water when almost dry. Add fertiliser every two weeks, must be low nitrogen.
    Losing leaves in early spring is not necessarily bad, mine do this every year. If you can put a picture in here,
    Geoff.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Hi Geoff

I tried to post/attach the images but i get an error...

I don't see any insects on it, but i'll check it again.

Super Moderator
    Ok, I wonder if it is just the high temperatures you have had this year. Otherwise, look under the leaves for white or blackfly. just to be sure put a drop one drop of washing up liquid in a can of water, spray the tree, under the leaves particularly. This will get rid of the insects,
    Geoff.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Thanks Geoff
    Will do so.

Best regards

Bonsai Apprentice
    Hi guys

So i think i have a fungal problem in my elm...
    I removed any leaft that had a not so good look and then i basically washed all the leafs without wetting the soil ( because it was still wet) hoping i get rid of any insect but instead of solving it i made it worse...now there are a lot of new yellow leafs...
    Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Why do you think there is a fungal problem? Could you see any sign of insects? We really do need to see a picture as it is very difficult to say what might be wrong without being able to see it. I cannot guess how tall it is or what it looks like.
    It is possible it is the heat that is causing the leaf loss, you may not be watering enough/too much. Keeping moving it about is not doing it any good at all. When you do a reply in the bar above there is a line of icons. The one third from the right is the one to add an image. The file must be under 1Mb

Bonsai Apprentice
    I want to post pics i really do and i have them but the uploader gives me an error 401...

Super Moderator
    Send me an e mail with them m5eay.geoff@btinternet.com is my e mail. If I have time to reply tonight I will if not it will be in the morning as I am going to Bonsai Club tonight,
    Geoff

Bonsai Apprentice
    Thanks Geoff, i'll send it right away.

BR