Thread: Trident maple trunk disease ?

Bonsai Apprentice

Trident maple trunk disease ?

Hi , i recently bought a baby trident maple and the leaves have always been a little dry at the tip, the base of the trunk seems to have a weird bulb like disease, i wonder if its dangerous for the tree or it is normal and just ugly.. thanks. Here is some pictures,

Super Moderator
    The leaves are fine, nothing to worry about. As for the trunk I don't know what I am supposed to see. It looks normal to me. There are some knots but that is normal. The tree itself is about 50% too tall, I would reduce it a lot. The trunk is very thin and needs to thicken which it will not do in a tiny pot. I would cut it at the point where it bends.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Thanks a lot for your quick response, i'm relieved, and for the cuts, i am indeed very scared to cut banch or top, if you saw pictures of my satsuki youd be discouraged, i havent cut it for 3 years now, its so big i dont know what branch to sacrifice and what to keep, i really need a course on how to choose main branches and wire. I did some on my gardenia after reading in boifs but arent satisfied witht the results. I really need someone to show me. But thanks for advice !!

Super Moderator
    Thing to do is just cut it. You won't kill the tree. This tree is too tall, and will benefit from reduced height. Have you looked for a club near you? I don't know what country you are in so I can't help there but is you do a search you may find one.