Thread: Bonsai health

Bonsai Apprentice

Bonsai health

Hi, another new tree owner here. I have a Chinese elm bought for me in October, I am in the U.K. and keep him indoors for his own safety (lots of bugs and cats around that may damage him). He is kept in a well lit area but not in direct sunlight, I water him when he needs not on schedule, and feed him about once a week.

Recently he has dropped a lot of leaves and the new ones growing back have brown spots. I have treated with a fungicide but they keep coming back. Should I cut back all affected branches and old branches with no leaves then treat again? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

P.S. I am trying to add photos but it won't let me! I will keep trying to add them.

Super Moderator
    You are making the mistake that so many do by keeping it inside. You are killing it. It should not have lost any leaves, it does not have any diseases or pests it is purely cultural. Get it outside and you might save it. It needs sunshine it needs air it needs much less fertiliser.
    Where are you in UK?

Bonsai Apprentice
    Thanks Geoff, wish people wouldn't sell these as indoor plants! Still a bit worried about leaving him outside but will give it a go. I'm in the midlands.

Super Moderator
    I agree, but they are tough and will survive for a while. But they do need cold and a lot of sunshine. Winter here is dull enough wittout being almost in darkness. It would be far better off out, but if you can't then ok. The thing is it is much easier to water and it will dry out much quicker in the sun. You should be near a club that has a show, there was going to be one at the Botanic Gardens in Birmingham this weekend but it was cancelled. If you have a look at bonsai4me.co.uk you will find a lot of species guids which will help and also several books. Also look at the FOBBS web site to see what is on and where the narest club is to you,
    Geoff.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Thanks again Geoff, I did look at the botanical gardens show, shame it was cancelled. I'll also read all the info. One last question, would it harm him if I placed him outside in a small greenhouse type structure or cover with a nylon plant protector, especially when I'm not around or at night? Need to protect him from the local cat/squirrel population!!

Super Moderator
    The greenhouse would be ok, but it will dry out very quick in the summer, Covering it with a plant protector would probably be better,
    Geoff

Bonsai Apprentice
    Plant protector it is then! Will let you know how he goes.

Andy