Thread: Dwarf Jade - Wrinkly Leaves. Overwatering, Underwatering?

Bonsai Apprentice

Question Dwarf Jade - Wrinkly Leaves. Overwatering, Underwatering?

Hey Everyone!

First post to the site. I bought a ~7-8 year old Dwarf Jade about 3-4 weeks ago and in that time it has spent much of its time indoors (under a heat lamp). I bought it from a fancy Bonsai nursery and the employee told me to basically leave it alone for a while (won't need pruning, watering, etc. right away). Since it's been much warmer up here in the Northeast the past few days, I decided to leave it outside on my patio (SW-facing). I water it when I notice the soil drying out, which has been a couple of times since I bought it, but I'm nervous that I'm either overwatering it, or under-watering it.
    The leaves are turning wrinkly and from what I've read that can be caused by both over and under-watering. Oh, I also used to mist the leaves daily until reading that this plant doesn't require it. Naturally - it's my oldest and most expensive tree so it's going first... :-/

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!!

Dwarf Jade.jpg
    Dwarf Jade Leaves.jpg

Super Moderator
    I don't think a heat lamp is a good idea at all. Also I am not sure outside is a good idea. Looks like underwatering to me. It is not a particularly good plant with poor pruning cuts and not growing either. Check the soil every day to see if it is dry use a chopstick and water when dry.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Thank you so much for your reply! If there's one thing I've noticed about caring for bonsai trees, it's that there is a LOT of conflicting information and resources out there. One article told me "Ahh! Stop watering!" Another told me, "Ahh! Water it more!"

What is the ideal temperature and conditions for the jade to thrive? Is it warm and humid? My apartment is very warm (thanks to the guy below me blasting his heat 24/7). Should I just water the crap out of it today then leave it alone until a chopstick pulls out dry, like a cake?

Poor pruning cuts huh? That's too bad, I've done no pruning myself and I bought it from the most reputable bonsai nursery in the state.

Again I really appreciate the feedback, anything else you'd suggest to keep this thing alive?

Super Moderator
    Crassula are succulents. They do not require a lot of water. They need good light and preferably sunlight. As long as it is above freezing they will be ok, but above 10C would be better. The pruning from what I can see has caused a bit of die back, it may grow out in time. It is not the best species for bonsai, a look in a few books will show that they are very rare which suggests that they are not good for bonsai. I know of no one who grows them as bonsai, only as house plants. They can get quite big in time.