Thread: Ficus remodelling

Bonsai Apprentice

Ficus remodelling

Hello all,

Some time ago I was given a ficus after helping someone move. It was healthy then but, because of my previous living situation, I forgot about it and neglected it for a few months. When I myself moved and found it again, I repotted it and have taken good care of it since (to the best of my abilities, in any case). I think it is recovering quite well: it has been growing leaves slowly over the last few months, and now that the days are longer, it is spawning new shoots and leaves all over.

But because I am new to bonsai trees, I was not aware of any need for pruning or training. Only when I looked up some images of other ficus bonsais on Google just now, did I realise that they can be a lot more beautiful. Problem is: I have no idea how to go about 'remodelling' this ficus.

So, to get to the point: could anyone please tell me how to make this ficus beautiful again?

Some preliminary notes:

- I have not done anything to the tree other than repot and water it. No cutting or training whatsoever;
    - I do now know the history of this tree; it seems to have been cut at the main branch at some point. I do not know why;
    - Never mind the pot - I'll buy a nice one later this week;
    - Note the two branches that are connected; one has grown right into another. I thought it quite peculiar;
    - I have pruning scissors and wire, which came with the ligustrum starter pack I was recently given by a friend.

Super Moderator
    The best thing you can do with this is keep it as what it is a houseplant. It will never be a bonsai let alone a good one. Buy a book and read what bonsai is. Then get a tree that you ca keep in your garden and which you can prune and look after. Wiring is not for any deciduous or non conifer species unless there is no option. Prune this plant if you must but no wire.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Thank you geoff hobson. Solid advice. Sorry for my lack of research prior to starting this thread.

Super Moderator
    Auk told you th same thing. Everyone makes the same mistakes unfortunately. I did it when I started, but I was able to learn from my mistakes. I am sure you will too.