Thread: Need help with bonsai's that are in poor condition.

Bonsai Apprentice

Need help with bonsai's that are in poor condition.

Advice on plants in very poor condition
    Hello everyone,

My name is Victor. I would like to say hello and mention that I am a new member to this forum and appreciate any advice given on my situation. My situation is as follows: We purchased a serissa foetida from a lady that takes care and sells bonsai trees. She sold us this tree and told us to water it only when the soil is mostly dry, with filtered water and to leave it where it can get sunlight. So, the plant was doing well for a year or so, until the leaves started turning yellow and falling and the plant was not looking like it's pretty self. We sent the bonsai lady some photos and she told us we might be watering it too much, so we stopped watering as much and it remained somewhat healthy. The plant also gets mold from time to time and we use rubbing alcohol to revive the trunk when this happens. She told us we would go in to get it wired when the leaves were strong enough and we did that last summer. Let me also say we get cold winter here in Ottawa. We purchased a second small plant, which i would love to know the name of, if anyone knows, as I forgot. This plant currently has zero leaves. So, we left for vacation for 2 weeks and left the plants at a family members house. This was last month and the temperatures were below zero. When we were taking the plants home, we did not think of covering them. The next day we noticed that the leaves have all shriveled and turned completely black and th branches are starting to die. We are still watering the plants and we are giving them humidity, with a humidifier on it's low setting. We do not have it directly near a window at the moment as the temperatures are too cold.

We really want to revive these plants, but need advice or links to better advice to care for these plants and revive them to their former glory. we are really interested in these plants, although we need some help with reviving them. I am trying to add photos but cannot seem to upload them, so I will try later or if anyone wants to send me a private message I can show you the pictures.

Thank you,

Victor

20170116_170556.jpg 20170116_170622.jpg 20170116_170737.jpg 20170116_170741.jpg20170116_170746.jpg

Super Moderator
    One of the trees is very very dry and dead. the one with the wire could be anything. The Serrisa which I assume is the dead one you will not revive, throw the plant keep the pot. The other one if it is deciduous may still be alive, but if it was not watered for a week then it is probably dead also,
    sorry, but the advice you were given was wrong. The pnly way to water is to check every day to see if the soil is dry and water when almost dry. Never water to a schedule it will kill one way or other. If they were inside then the outside temperatures are not relevant, if you had the Serrisa outside then frost killed it.

Bonsai Apprentice
    That soil looks so dry. As stated above don't water on a date schedule. Get some wooden chop sticks and and stick in the soil. After a few min pull it out and if it's wet you good. If not water. If it is wet then maybe just mist the tree with water. Also when was the last time it was repotted? Most trees need yearly to Teo year repottings. Get yourself some books. Lots of good ones out there for $5-$20. Good luck and keep trying! Everyone looses trees at some point.

Super Moderator
    Yoyng trees may require re potting that often, but older trees do not. The tree is dead keep the pot chuck it away start again