Thread: Bonsai Beginner

Bonsai Apprentice

Bonsai Beginner

I've had my bonsai for about 3 weeks now and all its been doing is dropping leaves. It has dropped about 5 leaves. I have a ficus ginseng and it is kept in a south facing window for the majority of the day. There are also tiny leaf buds that look like they should be growing for more leaves but have remained stagnant. What should I do?

Bonsai Apprentice
    Hello Wesley!
    Ficus is very sensitive plant for its location. So when you've chosen place for it, try not to move it. It could be still adjusting to it's new location tho, that's usually reason for newly bought ficus tree to drop its leaves. In my opinion your tree is just stressed from moving around the house. So choose placement and just let it be right there all day long.

How's your caring plan? How often do you water it etc.

Super Moderator
    How are you watering? Are you letting it get dry? It does not like being wet so make sure it dos dry between watering, but when you do make sure you soak it and allow to drain. You do not say where you are which can make a big difference. Unless you moved it from a very hot to a much colder situation it should not cause the leaves to drop, it is more likely your culture that is the problem.

Bonsai Apprentice
    OP here i usually keep my bonsai in my sun room but im in New York so it has been getting colder in the sun room. It gets hot and cold in there but the primary reason I keep it in there is because of the strong sunlight. Everywhere else in the house gets no sunlight. I have been watering it when it has completely dried out but it continues to drop leaves. Should i move it elsewhere in the house? Maybe its because I move it outside for watering? I'm not entirely sure what to do.

Super Moderator
    I am not sure what you may be doing wrong apart from the strong sun and variation in temperature. I would not take it out to water if possible. I don't think it would hurt to take it to a shady part of the house, especially if it has less variation in temperature. Put it in as bright a place as possible.

Bonsai Apprentice
    One thing to try: Take it to the room with no temperature changes. Doesn't matter if its bright spot or not and use led spotlight. Terrarium would be also great. Here in Finland winters are dark and cold so we need to rely on spotlights over winter. My ficus is at darkest spot of the house, but has spotlights to give light and is doing very fine. Repotting could also do the trick for you, mass producted plants oftenly have very poor soil and their roots have never been treated so the rootball fills all the soil and roots have nowhere to grow.

I have not quite understand what you mean