Thread: As promosed Aleppo Pine

As promosed Aleppo Pine

[AThis is my Aleppo Pine. It needs to be pruned but its not the right time of the year

RickTTACH=CONFIG]9766[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here it os opened up
    20160808_192509.jpg

Rick

Super Moderator
    I think I would remove even more branches. There some handlebars lower down, and I would shorten the higher ones to start a more triangular shape, but it is a good start. I don't know this species of Pine or how it reacts to pruning.

Yeah i know, i just didnt want to push the tree with it being so hot. In the winter more will come off. It is basically a mediterrian red pine. Tough as nails, but im not going to see how tough they really are.

Rick

Bonsai Apprentice
    It's good to see other varieties of Pine being explored. Good luck with it.

The first one failed..I think I pushed it to hard. I have another one that I'm taking my time with
    Rick

Bonsai Apprentice
    Good luck with it Rick, I recognize the tree as the one sold as indoor Christmas Trees at the Holiday season. Ernie Kuo has some really nice examples of the tree in his collection. I have seen nothing from him in years but that is a direction to look.

I have already seen his material and read his blog. Very interesting reading. The pine has potential, I just pushed the first tree to hard. You kinda know your coming along in this hobby when you do something and look at it and go I just over stepped this trees limits. Now I need to learn to stay away from that limit. Nice to hear from you Vance

Rick

Bonsai Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff hobson View Post
    I think I would remove even more branches. There some handlebars lower down, and I would shorten the higher ones to start a more triangular shape, but it is a good start. I don't know this species of Pine or how it reacts to pruning.
    From online search for this and near relatives these do not have triangular shape as mature trees. More likely to have broad or flat top. Would make more interesting tree than "normal" formal/semi formal upright tree. Also agree bar branches not good.