Thread: Growing a Japanese Maple in Northern Canada?

Bonsai Apprentice

Growing a Japanese Maple in Northern Canada?

So I'm new to this forum, and still fairly new to Bonsai as a hobby. Been at it for about 8 years now.. My experience is based solely on evergreens, and tropical plants up to this point.
    Anyway. The wife thought it would be fun to order some seeds online, as a gift to me.

It was a variety pack of several different plants. A few I know I can grow with success.
    But..
    2 that really caught my eye are the Japanese Maple, and Blue Wisteria.

I would love to try to grow these, but worry that the climate up here is not suited for them.
    I live in Grande Prairie Alberta.
    Our summers are hot, humid, and short. Our winters the opposite. Often hitting -40 for weeks! With the winter solstice offering only a few hours of daylight.

Could either of these trees possibly survive outdoors up here?? I have been thinking of building a small greenhouse, to help if I get crazy into bonsia. (Which I might)
    But the extremly cold temps, and dark winters make me nervous about them surviving the dormant stage.

Could really use some feedback.

Super Moderator
    You will be a very long time before you have anything to work with if the seeds germinate. Lack of daylight in winter will make no difference with Maples as they are dormant in winer so a garage or greenhouse will be ok. The main problem as I see it might be them being too dry in the winter. You really need someone to advise who knows more about your climate than I do, there may be a club near you where you an get advise. You could search to see if there is one.
    Seedlings need different treatment to established plants.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Sorry it's been awhile.
    I'm a busy guy.. lol
    But no. There is absolutely no bonsai activity up here. No clubs, no help.
    I have decided on a different route though, using the little knowledge I have.
    I'm just going to do trees native to the area, and show the diversity in bonsai!
    There are great trees up here to do that with!!
    I still need to build a small greenhouse though.

Super Moderator
    Ok, well there are a number of clubs including one in Edmonton. I don't know where this is in relation to where you are. Good idea to use trees that are native.