Thread: Ficus religiosa from seed - germination help

Bonsai Apprentice

Question Ficus religiosa from seed - germination help

Hi friends!

I want to start a bodhi ficus bonsai from seed. The idea is to grow a good number of seedling and tie them so that they fuse and resemble an aged trunk

I found a beautiful tree in my locality with relatively smaller leaves. I collected some of the dropped figs.

Please check the attached picture.

Problem is I am not too familiar with germination of ficus seeds. So I would really appreciate some germination tips..like soil/soiless mix, stratification, humidity, germination time...etc

Any inputs will be much appreciated.

Rohan

PS I live in a subtropical humid climate, India

Bonsai Apprentice

Here you go Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    Hi friends!

I want to start a bodhi ficus bonsai from seed. The idea is to grow a good number of seedling and tie them so that they fuse and resemble an aged trunk

I found a beautiful tree in my locality with relatively smaller leaves. I collected some of the dropped figs.

Please check the attached picture.

Problem is I am not too familiar with germination of ficus seeds. So I would really appreciate some germination tips..like soil/soiless mix, stratification, humidity, germination time...etc

Any inputs will be much appreciated.

Rohan

PS I live in a subtropical humid climate, India
    Hey Rohan, I am kinda new to the gardening and just planting my first ever "Ficus Religiosa" seeds this arvo. May be I am little late but thought this might help. https://www.hunker.com/12607566/how-...icus-religiosa.

Please do let me know how your plant is doing.

Good Luck
    #HappyGardner

Bonsai Apprentice
    Thanks for the reply.

The germination experiment was successful. The trick was to take out all the tiny seeds from those little figs. I read your article just now, while its a good guide but I would like to point out that it is not necessary to squash those figs, the figs may be dried for a few weeks which makes the seed extraction much easier 😊
    I planted them in straight coco. And treated them like any other seed. I had almost 100% germination!
    Last edited by Seedling; 09-27-2017 at 05:46 AM.

Super Moderator
    If it is an ordinary fig the leaves are enormous and totally unsuitable to grow for use as bonsai. Growing from seed is also a very long process and not for the beginner. Ten years minimum is needed for most species from seed, you would be far better buying a plant of a reasonable size.