Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is Root Pruning Possible?

Super Moderator
    Surely it is impossible to generalise which roots to remove, some species do not like to be root pruned, others are tolerent. Yes the thicker roots need to be cut back depending on where they are. But without seeing the tree how can anyone say what to remove?
    The original question why is it possible to root prune? is rather odd anyway.

Bonsai Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff hobson View Post
    Surely it is impossible to generalise which roots to remove, some species do not like to be root pruned, others are tolerent. Yes the thicker roots need to be cut back depending on where they are. But without seeing the tree how can anyone say what to remove?
    The original question why is it possible to root prune? is rather odd anyway.
    You're right, the question is specious. The answer of course is that plants are unbelievable tolerant of very bad things that can happen to them over time. If they were not understanding that they cannot get up and get out of the way they most surely would perish if they could not cope with adversity.

thank you for infor

Bonsai Apprentice
    This is really great work. Thank you for sharing such a useful information

Bonsai Apprentice
    Aloha,
    I know this is an old thread but I believe a very informative one. I have a cascade Green Mountain Juniper with a very deep root system due to the large training pot I am using. How do I start reducing the this mass of roots to move it into a smaller, shallower pot?

Super Moderator
    If it is a cascade then it will need a deeper pot. Smaller yes, it might take two re pots to reduce the width, if it is too deep then again more than one re pot so that you do not remove too much root in one go.