+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "S" Shaped Ficus Help

Bonsai Apprentice SDash is on a distinguished road

Question "S" Shaped Ficus Help

I bought this ficus a few months ago off line. I re potted it last week and now it looks like an S with a couple branches. Any styling ideas or should I chop it above a low branch to get some movement in the trunk. Thanks

S Ficus 1 by sdasherx, on Flickr

S Ficus 2 by sdasherx, on Flickr

S Ficus 3 by sdasherx, on Flickr

S Ficus 4 by sdasherx, on Flickr

Bonsai Expert JesRdKing is on a distinguished road JesRdKing's Avatar
    The 1 st picture looks like a Dragon arched back some, welcome to the forums you found a very freindly and down to earth site. The thing with Bonsai is what you see or what you imagine it should look like in yrs to come. We can make suggestions. There is a great website out Jerry Meslick I think how his name spelled and he deals a lot strictly with Ficus here the link and yes I butchered it up http://www.bonsaihunk.us/Figsindoors.html also another good site is www.bonsai4me.com Jes
    Let us mount up with wings and soar like Eagles in his name. Thank You God for all that you have given me

Administrator SlimGenre has disabled reputation SlimGenre's Avatar
    Jerry Meislik (sp)

Welcome to the forums, ficus is a great starter tree for the bonsai enthusiast because they are hard to kill (except for me, I've put a few down over the years, I live in a very dry part of the country).

I would say your next steps with this tree is building a web of smaller branches and increasing the canopy, what we call 'ramification.' The "S" shape of the trunk is a common and easy thing to do with nursery stock, but at this stage your tree is thick and hardened off into it, so that's unchangeable, I've seen bad ones before, but this one has great movement, even if it is unnatural, so get a picture in your head of a great fiery dragon, and starting encouraging the tree to grow that way... and do a lot of reading of styling... and keep posting pics through the years.

Move at the speed of the tree
    - BonsaiZombie

Thanks for the welcome. I guess ill have to let grow and see what happens. I cut off 2 large roots from this tree and put them in soil. Is it possible for them to grow a tree? I wasn't sure so I was just going to try it. Thanks!!

Administrator SlimGenre has disabled reputation SlimGenre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I guess ill have to let grow and see what happens. I cut off 2 large roots from this tree and put them in soil. Is it possible for them to grow a tree? I wasn't sure so I was just going to try it. Thanks!!
    it sure is if you do it right Ficus grow like weeds in the right environment

Move at the speed of the tree
    - BonsaiZombie

Bonsai Expert JesRdKing is on a distinguished road JesRdKing's Avatar
    I have heard that they will root right in the cup of water within 2 weeks or so. Jes
    Let us mount up with wings and soar like Eagles in his name. Thank You God for all that you have given me

Super Moderator RyansBonsai is on a distinguished road
    Ficus microcarpa do not grow from roots, however Ficus salicaria do.

So what your saying is my roots will do nothing. That is good to know. Where can I get Ficus Salicaria? Theres not a bonsai place around me. Thanks

Super Moderator RyansBonsai is on a distinguished road
    I've never had luck getting microcarpa roots to sprout, nor have I ever heard/read of anyone that's had luck. No places near me sell salicaria either, so I just search online. I like eBay

I have one root in soil and one in water. Ill see what happens within a few weeks if anything. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread