+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mame quince bonsai or can I follow instructions

Bonsai Apprentice Howard is on a distinguished road

mame quince bonsai or can I follow instructions

Several years ago I read an article "Developing Japanese Flowering Quince Miniature Bosnsai" (with bunches of illustrations for fools like me). It stated in five years what to do with a cutting and the result would be a nice mame bonsai. Of course I thought it was great and put the article away thinking I would attempt the proscribed steps. Well finally four years ago, I started with some cuttings off my Texas Scarlet quince. After only four years, with another hard pruning coming up to take it down smaller and probably reduce it down to one trunk here is one of the results.

This little baby was in full bloom last November after I trimmed it harshly. It then bloomed again in Jan 2011, Feb 2011 and now in April 2011. I highly recommend this old but not outdated article..http://www.docstoc.com/docs/25575065...NIATURE-BONSAI.

The tree is almost 5 inches tall in a 3 1/2 clay pot. The first pic show front of plant and the many blooms forming again. The second shows the back and a better view of trunk and also points out that I don't rotate my plants enough. jejejeje

It of course doesn't work for quince like Toyo Nishiki which has large leaves and even larger fruit.
    I ordered a small quince which has tiny leaves and small orange fruit called 'Orange Delight'. I can't wait for its delivery.
    Attached Images

Bonsai Apprentice Howard is on a distinguished road
    An update on the little Scarlet quince above. I have trimmed it even more. It is now just under 4 inches tall in a 3 1/2 clay pot. It bloomed the end of April again and I have only allowed one of the developing fruit to stay on the tree. I will continue to reduce trunk height and choose a new thinner off shoot to give girth and movement to trunk development. It will be a couple of yrs before I put it in a bonsai pot. The next time I trim it, I will take the top branch off. This year I ordered an Orange Delight quince from Evergreen Gardenworks which just arrived. It is a smallish quince...small leaves, small fruit, small height. I am very pleased with new plant and can't wait to start torturing the new quince.
    Attached Images

Bonsai Apprentice samakar1516 is on a distinguished road
    How about an updated pic of your mame quince?

Administrator SirSpeedy1 has disabled reputation SirSpeedy1's Avatar
    Do you have any updates Howard? I just picked one up last week (Texas Scarlet as well). It has a pretty decent base (about 1 1/2in) but I cut it back pretty hard. I was able to separate two other trees out the clump when I re-potted, one is in the garden and one in a pot.
    Make friends with a squirrel. Climb a tree and act like a nut...

I've been bonsai'd by the big guy in the sky

+ Reply to Thread