+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Poncirus trifoliate

Super Moderator iamurthman has disabled reputation iamurthman's Avatar

Poncirus t. fall color

Here's a few pics of my Poncirus in beautiful fall array. The left side is filling in nicely. I didn't do any trimming this year so it's a bit shaggy. Next spring I'll cut it back and begin shaping the tree.Flying Dragon citrus fall color..jpgfall pics 012rs..jpgfall pics 004rs..jpg

Bonsai Apprentice Howard is on a distinguished road
    Just a lovely damsel in her fall finery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has nice movement and nebari. It is developing nicely. Congratulations

Thanks Howard, we had a good rain last night which knocked the leaves off so I can get some good pics of the branches. The tree was in-ground before it came to me and had suffered the loss of about half the canopy branches, someone backed a boat trailer over it. Through directional prunning I've been able to fill in some and I have some new branches developing on the vacant side, so I've been pretty much letting 'er rip for two seasons to get those developed. She's a sweetheart to me for sure, but you know, better for looking at than cuddling. Shes bites and she'll cut you, too, if you treat her rough.

Flying Dragon update 1 year and 4 months old: The 1st pic is late Dec 2009 (just sprouted), 2nd pic is June 2010, 3rd pic is May 1 2010 The tree is now 1 yr and 4 months old 12" tall in a 6 1/2 clay pot.
    I was happy the seedling remained true to parent and is growing nice, hooked, evil thorns. I grow many trees from seeds because either the trees are unavailable in my area or not allowed to be imported. Among my many seedlings, I have two nice princess persimmon trees that I am very fond of. They are both two years old doing great.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Howard; 05-01-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Coming along nicely Howard! You seem to be the only other person I know growing these wonderful trees. (Are we both nuts?) I gave mine a good trim and removed the suckers from the base of the trunk. I planted three and put them in the humidity hut with my ficus. to my amazement all three are leafed out (and not turning black). I'm hopeful. All other cutting attemps have failed, but these seem to be doing well. They were more of a heal cutting than your normal cutting, as I pulled them from the trunk rather than cutting them away.

I know I am nuts but I won't include you in my group yet. jejejejeje The flying Dragon make wonderful bonsai trees. The leaves are small and the tree has few pests. I am amazed at how fast mine grow. Winter this year in South Florida was very mild. The tree didn't loose it leaves. I had no new growth on tree until in March when I removed all the old leaves and immediately it put out new leaves again. Congratulations on your success with the sucker heel stems in your humidity "love" hut.

Administrator SirSpeedy1 has disabled reputation SirSpeedy1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iamurthman View Post
    She's a sweetheart to me for sure, but you know, better for looking at than cuddling. Shes bites and she'll cut you, too, if you treat her rough.
    I know a couple women like that... (runs and ducks for cover)

I bought I mandarin tree last year and chopped it this spring, not realizing at the time that I chopped the graft off. The rootstock is Poncirus so I will be joining you guys playing with this tree. I cant find any info on them so I was wondering if you could give me some pointers. I'll snap a picture or two later today. Right now the "trunk is about 3in tall with about 6 shoots coming off at random spots, a very rough broom for now. I wired the shoots and pulled them down as they were all just going straight up.
    How much do the leaves reduce?
    The growth confuses me. Do the "wings" (below where the two leaflets divide off) on the base of the leaves become the branch eventually?
    Is this going to work as a mame or shohin or do I need to let it get much bigger?
    Last edited by SirSpeedy1; 05-20-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    Make friends with a squirrel. Climb a tree and act like a nut...

I've been bonsai'd by the big guy in the sky

SirSpeedyI,

My trees are less than two yrs old so I am just letting them grow out with minimal pruning. They already are forming side branches and big, big thorns.The Poncirus trifoliata have large thorns on the shoots, and its deciduous leaves with three (or rarely, five) leaflets with the middle leaflet longer than the two side leaflets. The stems keep growing with the leaves developing on the stem. Thus if you prune, you would be pruning the stem growth and not leaves or leaflets. The leaves develop on the new stem but when they fall (during winter deleafing or natural falling) the new side stems form where the old leaves were. Because of the fruit size you mainly see bonsai trees as large shohin or larger. I have seen many smaller bonsia forms of the tree although. Most examples I have seen were allowed to contort and do their own thing with minimal pruning. Once again the side branches don't start forming until the tree loses its original leaves on a stem. On younger growth the the spines are smaller but on older, larger branches the spines are huge. The following site has some interesting pics of Poncirus trifoliata trees. http://www.homecitrusgrowers.co.uk/p.../poncirus.html If it is a poncirus rootstock it can be any of a large number of poncirus or children developed as rootstock ....Poncirus Trifoliate, Poncirus trifoliate 'Rubidoux', Poncirus trifoliate 'Flying Dragon',Citrange Citrus x insitorum, Citrange 'Benton', Citrange 'Carrizo', Citrange 'C-35',Citrange 'Morton', Citrange 'Rusk', Citrange 'Troyer',Citrange 'Willits', Citrandarin, Citremon, Citrumelo, Swingle Citrumelo, Citrangequat Citrus georgiana. Look up Poncirus trifoliate bonsai or Flying Dragon and go to pics. You should find several small bonsai and larger ones with the the Trifoliate monster.
    1st pic shows how the stem grows with the leaf being an attachment (not the stem growing out of a leaf bundle) 2nd pic shows a lower branch on the right starting to form secondary branches where an old leaf was 3rd pic shows a new branch forming and a healthy thorn
    Attached Images

Administrator SirSpeedy1 has disabled reputation SirSpeedy1's Avatar
    Thanks Howard,
    I'm assuming, and we lla know what that does, that its just P. trifoliata and not one of the specific varietals. Its definately not Flying Dragon, the branches were stick straight and the throns even though they are small are straight and short and thick. After reading your post I went and took a closer look and see what your talking about the leaves being "attachments". So I probably goofed a little trimming the branches back? I'll let it grow unhindered from now on.
    I snapped two pics, first is the whole tree, second shows some of the "goofy" leaves that link talked about. One has no side leaflets, one has 1 1/2 leaflets, and one just has 1.
    Attached Images
    Make friends with a squirrel. Climb a tree and act like a nut...

I've been bonsai'd by the big guy in the sky

You have a nice trunk to start off with. Tne new growth is usually not very thick, has short thorns and not too contorted but wait the older growth and then you will the true characteristics . Being it has nice roots it should take off. On some fertilizations use acidic fertilizer. The tree will love you. Flying dragon seedlings are straight up (no contortions) with small thorns but by the second year they go bonkers. In my mind, I can already see a nice tree. If your tree doesn't lose its leaves over the winter because of lack of enough cold weather cut the old leaves off leaving most of the stem and the tree will send out new leaves and side stems shortly. Grab Iamurthman and ask him for his advice. He has been growing Poncirus trifoliata for years.

+ Reply to Thread