+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dragon Tree-Dracaena Marginata

Senior Member 71HANTO is infamous around these parts 71HANTO's Avatar

Dragon Tree-Dracaena Marginata

Nebraska made me do it...went to Home Depot and picked up this 5 gal Dracaena Marginata for $26.90. I knew nothing about them as I went there to get the baby succulents for my "Devin's Chirashi" Bonsai Bowl (see July contest hopeful). The roots turn out to be MUCH larger and wider than I thought when I uncovered them. The $15 pot I bought was way too small hence the different one in the picture of the insta-bonsai. I think this pot was about $12. Anyone else work with these Dragon trees? What's the Good, bad, and ugly as a bonsai?
    Thanks,
    71HANTO
    [IMG size=500]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/71hanto/Bonsai%20Trees/DSC06820.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG size=500]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/71hanto/Bonsai%20Trees/DSC06815.jpg[/IMG]
    Taken today...
    [IMG size=500]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/71hanto/Bonsai%20Trees/DragonTree7-1-09.jpg[/IMG]<br><br>Post edited by: 71HANTO, at: 2009/07/06 00:06

Senior Member 71HANTO is infamous around these parts 71HANTO's Avatar

I have name this creation "Furatto Mizu". It is the Japanese translation of the Indian word(s) "Nebraska"
    71HANTO

Administrator nebraska has disabled reputation nebraska's Avatar

I'll try to be a bit less forcefull next time you get some new material , I like it, I have been considering doing a forest with some of these, but havent tried them out yet. My mother has a couple in a pot in her dimly lit living room, so they seem to me to tolerate low light levels, although hers never seemed to grow. She has recently killed one of them, i believe from too much water to a plant without enough light to grow...never seen one with a nice thick trunk like that, and a nice nebari too, I like the name too ... way to step out of the crowd and be different!

be careful with the "insta-bonsai" there is really no such thing, i had to kill a couple trees to learn that most trees will not handle the abuse. crassula are tough succulents and can handle it, but not all plants can. Even with the plants that can handle being torn apart limb by limb and their food supply cut off need extra care and supervision afterwards

good luck and keep a careful eye on that beauty<br><br>Post edited by: nebraska, at: 2009/07/02 13:31

Bonsai Apprentice Fr3d is on a distinguished road

Dracaena Marginatas

I love Dracaenas of all types. Dracaenas like bright, filtered light (bright sun filtered through sheer curtains or translucent blinds so that the light is difused). They'll do okay in a north-exposure window, but setting up a grow-light will perk them up. (A simple one can be built using compact flourescents.) In low light, they will not grow. Period. They have a rest period between late September and March, when growth slows down and might stop. They also need good drainage, but are quite happy with regular, packaged potting soil otherwise. Standard plant-food applied according to package directions during the growing period, (ie, the rest of the year)
    I'm uncertain about bonsai-ing a dracaena. Unlike junipers and the other species usually used for bonsai, Marginatas are fairly fast growing and can reach a height of six feet inside ten years. Putting them in a small pot just seems to make them stop growing altogether. They also have a long, deep-delving tap-root. I keep mine in tall waste-baskets (solid-sided plastic) for the depth. They let me know they need more space when roots start coming up and fanning out across the surface.
    I was doing research on simply training the woody stems on one of mine when I ran across this thread.

+ Reply to Thread